How many times have you heard someone say, "JUST GET OVER IT!!" Does this get under your skin? Does it make you feel inadequate? Do you want to just shout back "BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH!!! More importantly, isn't it funny how the people telling you to get over it, never tell you HOW to get over it? This is why we need resilience tools to not only get over it but also to OVERCOME whatever you are going through.
Definition of Resilience: The ability to withstand, recover and/or grow in the face of stressors and changing demands.
Why Resilience? It enables an individual to overcome daily hassles and major obstacles.
It allows you to cope and adapt to adversity or stress to be successful even when under significant stress.
Being resilient doesn’t mean you won’t experience adversity. But, if you do, resilience can protect you from the adverse effects of stressful life events.
1. Get Enough sleep and exercise, and learn to manage stress
2. Practice thought awareness - be optimistic-avoid negative thought-patterns/people
3. Learn from past mistakes and failures.
4. Choose your response- choose to remain calm rather than panic
5. Maintain perspective- avoid catastrophizing a short-term incident.
6. Build self-confidence
7. Develop strong relationships/connections
8. Remain flexible
9. Learn mindfulness/meditation strategies and breathing techniques to alleviate stress.
10. Seek spiritual/professional counseling, if necessary
1. Resilient people have stronger performance and better health. They perform better in a variety of areas to include creativity, academic achievements and decision-making.
2. Resilient people have lower blood pressure, get better sleep, have healthier immune functioning, and a longer life span
3. Resilient people are more open to feedback from others which increases self-awareness and strengthen relationships with co-workers, friends, and family.